Skip to main content

The Word with Friends

Although I never played the game, I heard a lot of people talk about "Words with Friends." As I sat down to write this post, I thought of it because it's so fitting for what I have to say, and it made me giggle a little to be honest.

This summer was really amazing, if you haven't gathered that by now. Of all the great things that happened, one of my favorites was a little "Bible thing" I started doing with a very good friend of mine. It all started one day when when I realized that I went three weeks without reading my Bible and didn't even bat an eye. Honestly, I've gone longer, but this particular day it had been three weeks. (Which is still too long.) I came to terms with the fact that my willpower or resolution wasn't getting the job done. What I needed was accountability. A year ago I would've thought, "Well crap. I don't have anyone," but this year I have someone. I immediately sent them a message asking for that accountability. I didn't even know exactly what I wanted to do. The next morning I just took a stab in the dark and sent a message about what I had read, and it just stuck. Now, pretty much every morning I send a message with a few bullet points on what stood out to me. Then we typically have a little conversation about it. Here's a screenshot of one of my messages:


I really love that it's a place of honesty. If one of us struggles with something in the passage, we just say, "That's hard for me." I think everyone needs to have someone that they can tell their struggles to. When you do, usually one of three things will happen. You'll either get understanding from them, a word of advice/wisdom, or just support. You might even get someone who will pray for you! At first it may seem awkward, scary, or (insert your own negative description), but it's really worth it.

I did good for a couple weeks - until one morning when I woke up with a migraine. That morning I didn't read my Bible, so I obviously didn't send my little spiel. I'm not sure why (maybe a lifetime of being let down), but I was honestly surprised that evening when I heard my phone's little chime and found a message that said, "Have you read your Bible today?" (I was so happy, by the way.) Doing this has been so great for me. I know the content of my blog has shifted with it, and my relationship with Christ has benefited tremendously. Not only am I in the Word, but I'm discussing it (almost) daily.

A couple weeks ago I told another friend of mine about this. She liked the idea so much that she started a group message with her close friends doing the same thing. After learning that, I excitedly mentioned it in the next morning's "Bible thing." We thought it was pretty cool that we had helped spark a new Bible study and dreamed a little about it going worldwide. I really hope it does. That's where you, my readers, come in. Find yourself a "Bible buddy" and start your own "Bible thing." As I mentioned before, a year ago this would have been impossible for me. Because I know some of you are probably in that same boat, I will be your buddy! Just leave a comment similar to my message above, and I will respond. I may even give you a word of encouragement! (If you are one of the people who doesn't have anyone, I want to remind you that your Samuel is coming!) I genuinely hope that you will pick up this habit and watch how Christ transforms your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i