Skip to main content

It's all heart.

This summer has truly been a life changing summer for me. Several factors play into this, but it all comes down to loss and strain and butterflies... just kidding. It comes down to personal growth. (Which apparently did not include overcoming the urge to drop song lyrics all the time.) More specifically, spiritual growth. 

Since I was saved two years ago, I've had a slow and (sort of) steady growth rate. Starting a Bible study was a big launch pad, if you will, for me spiritually. After that, a lot of big and little things contributed to more growth. This summer has had its good times, and certainly had its struggles. Through it all, the biggest and maybe overarching theme of all the lessons I've learned is that our motives mean more than our actions. (I touched on this a little in I Will vs. My Will.)

I have never been a "bad person." I was a well behaved child in school. My teachers always told my mom, "I wish I had a class full of Chloes." I never did anything to hurt anyone intentionally, I kept to myself, I made good grades, joined the good clubs, got good scholarships, volunteered to help others, worked in my church as soon as I was "released" from the children's ministry, and said all the right things to make people believe that I was a "good Christian." I was a whitewashed tomb. The truth is, I thought hurtful things about people every day, I complained about what I did in the clubs, I didn't really care about the people I would help when I volunteered, I dreaded helping at Church many times, and I didn't believe a word I was saying. Doing all the right things didn't make my heart pure or give me a Christ-like attitude. If anything, keeping myself busy kept me from facing the reality of my condition: a lost soul trying to please a God with half-way attempts at righteousness from my own power. 

Now, even as a true believer, I still get caught up in the idea that if I try hard enough that I will somehow be able to do enough. God doesn't stop judging at our actions, He starts with our hearts.
"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'" - 1 Samuel 16:7
Earlier this summer, I was at a church conference, and one of the speakers said, "Nothing gets to our hands without first going through our hearts." Meaning, our sins start with thoughts, desires, motives. We don't typically do something that has never crossed our mind. In Matthew 5, among other topics, Jesus talks about lust. He tells us that even looking at someone with lust causes us to commit adultery in our hearts. See? We don't have to do anything. On that note, if we do look at someone with lust, odds are we will eventually act on those thoughts. (The same goes for all other sins, not just lust/adultery.)

I was looking on Pinterest for fitness tips a while back (I've lost four pounds by the way! I know that's not much, but it's a start!) and saw a pin that said, "Fitness is 90% mental and only 10% physical - your body won't go where your mind doesn't lead it." I think that's a rather germane quote for this topic. Fitness is hard for me, I love sitting here writing and I also love chocolate. The thing is, both of those combined don't exactly lead to a fit life. If I want to continue seeing results, I'm going to have to completely change how I think about fitness. Instead of thinking "ugh I have to do this workout" or "I just want chocolate," I have to change my thoughts to "I get to workout this morning!" and "This carrot is delicious." Okay. I hate carrots. That will never change. My point is, until we change our motives, we're just keeping sin in our back pockets, waiting for a time when we think we can get away with it. We're hiding our dirty hearts with seemingly clean actions. Furthermore, we aren't letting ourselves live in the presence of God or experience His grace. Transformation starts on the inside and seeps to the outside.
"...be transformed by the renewing of your mind...." - Romans 12:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i