Skip to main content

My Bible Study Plan

This is a post that is very near and dear to me. Bible study has been quite a roller coaster for me. For years, I have been an "Israel" (which means 'one who wrestles with God'). I haven't always been consistent in my quiet times. I've had my reasons, but none proved themselves to be worthy excuses. The two biggest things that kept me from being consistent were the fact that I wasn't saved and a little phase of doubting I had that was jump started by the band incident. For starters, it is really hard to have a regular study time when you don't even have a relationship with God. I can't blame myself for not doing that, but I won't leave out the fact that I was raised in church. I don't have a reason for taking so long to come to Christ. I do know that everything happens in God's timing. I have a great testimony as a result of my stalling, even though it breaks my heart when I think of how many times I ignored God all those years. (I'll post my full testimony soon!) My doubting is something that I haven't quite forgiven myself for, but am still grateful because I came out much stronger in my faith and love for Christ. I want to put a word of encouragement for anyone who is struggling with their faith or has before: Everything happens for a reason - even your doubting. God is loving, gracious, merciful, patient God. Although it saddens Him to see us stray, he won't love us any less. He is waiting with arms wide open for you to come home. (Cue, Bright Lights by Matchbox Twenty) Haha! I couldn't help but to think of that song while writing this. Just listen to it and imagine God singing to you, and know that the "bright lights won't receive you." (I feel another blog post coming on solely about "Bright Lights." Stay tuned!) I still feel ashamed of the fact that I ever doubted God, but I know that He loves me the same. My doubt only temporarily kept me from growing in my relationship with God. In the end, that period of doubt helped me grow closer to Him, and I suppose that's what matters. It was this plan of Bible Study that finally ended my doubt.

While browsing Pinterest, I stumbled upon the Bible reading plan, 'Gently God Guides' from rachelwojo.com. I started the plan, and felt God working in my life on the very first day. I used this along with this prayer notebook plan that I adapted to my life. I didn't end up making a tab for each day. 1) because I didn't have that many tabs on hand, and 2) I just put the date at the top of each entry. Either way is fine. It's all personal preference, and I just didn't want to buy more tabs. On her prayer plan, Friday was designated for "Friday Night Meatballs." That simply doesn't apply to my life, but I do have a Tuesday Bible Study lunch group that is launching today!  I have decided to replace Friday Night Meatballs with Tuesday Lunch Group. By the way, we are studying Rachel's plan, The Light. Her word study was over "grace," while mine is over "truth."I did include an "Archives" tab, but I have yet to use it. I will probably transfer some pages over when I get more entries. I have pondered the idea of buying a larger binder and organizing it the same way so that everything can stay in order. Otherwise, all your pages will get mixed up. I am so grateful for these lovely ladies. The combination of their thoughts and wisdom have truly changed my life. I would highly recommend this notebook layout and any of of Rachel's reading plans. I hope you guys will benefit from this even half as much as me because it has just turned my world around - the way it should be going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i