Skip to main content

Bright Lights

Here I am to elaborate on those "Bright Lights" that I mentioned in my last post! For this post, I'm going to do something I haven't done here, but enjoy doing on my own time. I'm going to post the full lyrics with my thoughts in between. They'll be in italics. If you couldn't distinguish my blabbering from the eloquence of Matchbox Twenty. (By the way, I don't own these lyrics. Are you kidding? I'm not half brilliant enough to come up with them!) Heck, go ahead and take a listen to "Bright Lights" again if you want!

(Verse 1)
She got out of town on the railway, New York bound
Took all except my name
I think sometimes we want God to help us and bring us blessings without actually making a commitment to him - we try to take all except his name.
Another alien on Broadway
Without Christ, we are nothing. We couldn't even exist without God quite frankly. We need God. As terrible as this may sound to some of you, I find a great comfort in knowing that I am nothing without God. I know myself, and I know that I will fail. How great is it to know that you don't have to rely on your own strength?
Well, some things in this world you just can't change
Some things you can't see until it gets too late

(Chorus)
Baby, baby, baby when all your love is gone
Who will save me from all I'm up against out in this world
Right here, I think more about God asking me who will save me. Not the other way around although the song makes it sound that way. Obviously God doesn't need us, but he does want us. On that note, isn't it pretty awesome that He wants us without needing us. I mean, I NEED water to survive, I WANT brownies. Ironically, if you offered me brownies or water now, I would choose brownies. It's the same way with God. We aren't necessary to him, but he wants us. That right there should make you feel pretty loved.
And maybe, maybe, maybe
You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come on home
Here's where my original comment came from regarding this song. No matter what, the bright lights of the world will never receive us. Nothing will satisfy us like Christ can and will. God knows this and just wants us to "come on home."

(Verse 2)
I got a hole in me now
I got a scar I can talk about
Wow. Wow wow wow. If anyone has a hole and scar, it's most definitely Jesus. I'm just going to stop talking and let that sink in.
She keeps a picture of me in her apartment in the city
But some things in this world
Man, they don't make sense
Some things you don't leave until they leave you
Do we sometimes pay God lip service, and say things like, "Oh yes I believe in God," but go months without really reading in our Bibles or praying? I know I have. Just like this girl who keeps a picture in her apartment, but is gone. We say one thing, but act on another. This also makes me so thankful that God doesn't leave us even when we leave Him.
And the things that you miss you say,
Now obviously the chorus comes next. Paired with this last line, I think that's a pretty accurate description of how God is towards us. He knows how terrible we are. He knows that we have wayward hearts, yet He wants and loves us, and pleads for us to come home. 

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
Let that city take you in (come on home)
Let that city spit you out (come on home)
Let that city take you down, yeah
For god sakes turn around
Just like in the parable of the prodigal son, God lets us have our time in "the city." He doesn't keep us from doing our own thing. Does it sadden Him? Yes, but hopefully, like me, you will realize that the city isn't good and doesn't receive you. When we "live it up," we realize that it wasn't as great as we thought it would be. Rob Thomas has actually talked a little about this in the context of his marriage. Even though it's not necessarily the best, I'm glad God lets us go in the city just to let us get "spit out."

(Now for a sequence of "come on home's", "yeah's," etc. that finish out the song.)

Well there you have it. I peek inside my tangled web of a mind where everything intertwines. If I ruined the song for you, sorry not sorry. Ha! This post is very near to my heart as it essentially tells my story. I was the prodigal daughter. I was the girl who had to go to the city. I just knew that things would be better if I lived life my own way. I didn't write this post to offend or upset anyone, but show you all that there is hope. If you are struggling with your faith, there is a Light that will receive you. I don't know if I did a very good job at it, but this was my attempt in conveying how much God loves each and every one of us. Even though we are His "Downfall." Oh Here I Go Again... I need to Stop. Okay. I'm done. Sorry, sometimes I let my love of music get out of hand. But hey, that's why I'm the "Be-Bop" Blogger, right?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i