Skip to main content

Eric Hilliard Nelson

Thirty years ago today, we lost the greatest man and musician. Ricky Nelson was en route to Dallas from Guntersville, Alabama for a New Year's Eve concert. A leak in a gas line caused a fire that killed Ricky, Helen Blair (Rick's fiance), and the rest of the band and crew. The pilot and co-pilot were the only survivors, but they suffered second and third-degree burns. I don't want to spend all my time telling about how sweet Eric was taken from us far too early. I want to celebrate the 45 years we were all blessed with this wonderful life!

Ricky started his career in 1948 on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, the radio show. In 1952, the Nelsons ran a TV special called "Here Come the Nelsons," as a forerunner to the series. It was a hit, so the Nelsons were signed on to ABC with their new live-action sitcom, "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet." After five years of charming America with his adorable self and his wit, he surprised everyone. On April 10, 1957, Ricky performed Fats Domino's "I'm Walkin'," on the episode titled Ricky the Drummer. The record flew up the charts and the greatest musician was born. In 1958, his song "Poor Little Fool" reached #1 amidst several other big hits. It is said that Ricky was second only to Elvis. That might be so according to the numbers, but to me, Ricky will always number one. 1961 brought Rick another #1 hit, "Travelin' Man." After years of being the "Prince of Rock 'n' Roll," the world moved towards other trends (cough cough, The Beatles). In 1972, Rick made a comeback with his #2 hit, "Garden Party." Although I think it is good that he finally got some much-needed attention, I want to emphasize the fact that he made music that is, in my opinion, better than "Garden Party." I love that song, but have you heard "How Long?!" That is probably my favorite song he ever recorded. In the 1980s, Rick started singing more of his old hits, contradictory to his claim that, "If memories are all I sing, I'd rather drive a truck." Some say it's because of money problems, but if you watch the videos of his last concerts, you will see that he was one happy cookie. In fact, he looked happier than he had in a LONG time. I know he was contradicting what he used to say, but I love that he was happy in his last days. At Christmas with the Nelsons, Matthew and Gunnar talked about his last Christmas and back up my theory that he was at one of his happiest points in his life when he passed. He made a remark about it being the best Christmas and that he finally had his family back together. I just get the warm fuzzies when I think about how happy he was. That is just a short summary of his career, but he had such an amazing character. I miss him every day and I know I'm not alone. Matthew and Gunnar's song, "Just Once More," has a line that says, "Seasons come and seasons go, but love lives on, you taught me so." This is seriously tied for the best song lines ever. (I can't pick one.) Speaking of song lines, now I would like to list my Top 10 Rick Nelson lyrics. I'm not talking about any Rick Nelson song lyrics. I mean lyrics that came straight from his beautiful heart, soul, and mind. All of these songs were written by Rick himself, which makes me mighty proud! Some of these are my favorite because they are inspiring and some because they just resonate with me.

10) Sing a song to me now. Sing a song and make me happy yeah, cause I can't go on much longer. The feeling here's getting stronger. Come on and sing me a song.
- "Sing me a Song

9) While all you wingless birdmen try to fly, a flower closes gently by. Goodbye, so long.
- "A Flower Closes Gently, By"

8) When the whole world puts you down and makes you feel like a clown, that's not it. You just can't quit.
- "You Just Can't Quit"

7)When you feel like crying out and there's no one left to cry about, I want to thank you, my Lord.
- "Thank You Lord"

6) All you village people sing your songs of the morning sunlit sky. ' "Don't you think it's time we moved along," ' said the raven to the fly.
- "Palace Guard"

5) Can you feel the truth within you? Can you see yourself begin to?
- "Windfall"

4) The more you learn, the less you know.
- "It's Another Day"

3) It's alright to take a a stand, I'm your brother. Don't be afraid, we all belong to each other.
- "We've Got a Long Way to Go"

2) The things that seem important aren't, you see.
- "Last Time Around"

1) Time and time I've tried to speak, but no one seems to listen. And life's too short to carry on, so I guess I'll just sit here and listen.
- "How Long"


In loving memory of Eric Hilliard Nelson
May 8, 1940 - December 31, 1985
Forever in our hearts, on our minds, and playing on our record players (and CD players, computers, iPods, and phones)!

Pat Upton with Rick just before taking out for Dallas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i