Skip to main content

Lessons Learned from Being in a Band: Why I Would Do it All Again

I'm putting song titles in parenthesis. To get the full effect, you should definitely listen as I mention them.
I remember when I sang  my first "special" at church. I was anything but a seasoned singer. In fact, I had a terribly flat and airy voice. I was shaking all over and utterly terrified. When I finished my two minute song, as scared as I was, I knew that someday I wanted to be in the band. After years of taking voice lessons, singing more specials, and occasionally filling in when the the lead singers were gone, my time had come. When my preacher asked me if I wanted to join the band, I couldn't spit out my, "yes," quick enough. (Fools Rush In by Rick Nelson). The months that ensued brought some of the greatest memories of my life. For the first time, I felt like I belonged somewhere. The days or weeks between practices and Sundays felt like an eternity. I'm pretty sure the people closest to me were beyond tired of hearing about the band as that was just about all I talked about. I had never been so passionate about something or a group of somebodies in my life. Unfortunately, I am a highly guarded person. Maybe they thought I wasn't passionate enough about it because I was so shy, but inside I was teeming with love. I was just getting comfortable and feeling like I could let go, show how I felt, and really allow myself to "feel the music." I could feel something happening deep inside. Everytime I was with the band, another one of my walls was torn down. The problem is that nobody else knew about this. I'm sure I appeared cold or half-hearted, even though I was actually far from it.

April 1, 2015. The date that has haunted the corners of my mind every day since then. That was the day I got a phone call form the band leader to inform me that I wasn't needed on the band anymore because, essentially, I wasn't passionate enough - or so they thought. My heart has never been as broken as it is about this. I have been let down by other, but never by people who I had loved and trusted so deeply. This band was my safe place. Whether or not they realize it, they broke so many barriers in my life. They say time heals all wounds, but I am just as broke hearted today as I was on that loathsome April day. Just this month I have cried four times. (The Reason Why by Rick Nelson). Sometimes I wonder if it was really worth it, but I know I  would do it all again in a heartbeat. Why? Because even if it ended terribly, the time I was with them was worth it. That was my story in a nutshell, and here are my lessons learned. I believe these are all lessons learned in life, but everyone learns them a different way.

1. Every rose has its thorn. (Every Rose has its Thorn by Poison)
2. Never underestimate the healing power of a good song. (Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash)
3. It's better to have loved and lost than to never love at all.
4. Love hurts. (Love Hurts by The Everly Brothers).
5. Always be true to yourself - no matter what. (You Just Can't Quit by Rick Nelson)
6. Sometimes the things that you love most fade away. (Fadeaway by Rick Nelson)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i