Skip to main content

7 things that make me happy!

Simplicity is key in my life. I may be a complicated individual, but I do appreciate the simple things in life. Here are seven things that, though simple, bring a special joy to my heart and sparkle to my eye.
Music: Music is something that I cannot live without. Have I honestly made it one post without referencing it? I am listening to music as a write (Now Playing: Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison). Nothing makes me happier than four chords masterfully arranged to make a sweet melody with a deep, smooth voice. One of my favorite quotes about music is by Tom Waits, he says, "I love beautiful melodies telling me terrible things," and nothing could be truer.
Playing Guitar: Although this kind of falls under the music category, there is a difference between listening to music and creating it. There is something so moving to me that I can make those beautiful melodies with my own two hands and put my own thoughts with them, or I can take someone else's song and recreate it with my style. Playing guitar is a natural high for me. It takes me to a place of its own. Hold on to those things that keep you vibrant!
Chocolate: I love all chocolate, but dark chocolate holds a special place in my heart and tummy! I love all chocolate things: brownies, hot chocolate (especially Mexican and Italian!), chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate truffles, chocolate by itself... ahhh... I don't even care.
Coffee: One thing about coffee that I love, besides that "I can do anything," feeling, is the taste. I LOVE the taste of good black coffee. I even love the taste of bad black coffee! I will drink it hot or cold, as long as it's black. I always wince a little inside when I see someone doctoring up their coffee - it's too good to add anything to it! Although, I did work up to drinking it black. I used to put milk and sugar, then I just put sugar and slowly lessened the amount until I got to the way I am now where I prefer it black. I will mention, I love a nice big White Chocolate Mocha from Starbuck's!
Good Books: Give me a good book, and you'll have a friend for life. There's nothing like being transported to another universe, quite frankly. My favorite moment in reading time is when I'm reading anything F. Scott Fitzgerald, with a big cup of black coffee, listening to Ozzie Nelson (cue, "You're Such a Comfort to Me.")
Writing: I think this is a given considering I chose to start this blog. I love being  able construct my thoughts how ever I want them and share them with who I want and that is just so magical to me.
Rainy Days: I don't know what it is about rainy days, but I really love them. They just make me so happy. I seriously cannot contain my excitement when it rains. I have been known to actually go out and dance in the rain. There's something beautiful about that innocence in my opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i