Skip to main content

Quiet Season

"For from days of old no one has heard, nor has ear perceived, nor has the eye seen a God besides You, who works and acts in behalf of the one who gladly waits for Him."
- Isaiah 64:4

I guess I wasn't really prepared for this "in between." I feel as though I have one foot in the past and the other in the future.
Some mornings I wake up, the morning sun hits my skin, fresh air fills my lungs, I feel the new mercies of the Lord in my bones. The smell of my coffee brewing stirs excitement in me for the possibilities of Today.
Some mornings I wake up and it feels like the light of the sun can't quite reach me. Instead of breathing in fresh morning air, I suck in anxiety and regret  - I am drowning. Again. My vision blurs as my past consumes me. I sink further and further into this bottomless ocean, sure that either I have ruined my life, or my life has ruined me.

The calm after a storm is eerily quiet. After growing accustomed to all the chaos that the storm brought, peace and quiet is foreign. While I'm "in between," the quiet is scary. There is much impending change in my life. The next step for me is unknown, and all I hear is silence. There was a time when the next right thing was made so clear to me by God. He guided and He provided. But now it's quiet.

When I mistake silence for inactivity, I remind myself of Isaiah 64. Maybe God is being quite now. Or maybe I'm just not listening. I'm not an expert theologian. I know that I do not understand all the ways of the Lord. But, writing this, I am reminded of Ecclesiastes 11:5,
"Just as you cannot understand the path of the wind or the mystery of a tiny baby in its mother's womb, so you cannot understand the activity of God who does all things."
What stands out to me the most is:
1. God is active.
2. He does ALL things.

So, while I cannot hear Him now, and I don't see a lot of change or progress in my life at the moment, I can trust that He is the doer of all deeds and that He will do exactly what needs to be done exactly when it needs to be done. And whenever that deed is done, I fully believe that I will see all the behind-the-scenes work that God is doing on my behalf right now!

Quiet can be scary. Just like the dark, quiet means unknown.
I think my pastor said it best, "Our hope is anchored in the eternal purposes of God."
More than a plan for my life, He has a plan for eternity that I get to be a small part of. In my life, I have found nothing to be so humbling, yet so comforting; no better light in the dark, or better song to sing to the silence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i