Skip to main content

Before the Throne

I recently had the opportunity to go to court. I use the term "opportunity" very carefully. It does not reflect the way I initially felt or talked about it, but I have since come around. If you have never had to stand before a judge, your friends, family, and strangers to give a detailed account of your deepest hurt and shame two chairs away from the person who caused most of it, I highly recommend it. I wouldn't consider it the funnest thing in town, but it will definitely give you a better - more accurate - perspective of God and yourself. In the grand scheme of things, that is really what I'm going for in this life. I had hoped that I would gain that understanding through something not quite so humiliating and terrifying, but I'll take it how I can get it.

I'm the type of person who regularly says, "don't judge me," for minor things (like the way I eat pizza). Let me tell you, the level of scrutiny I was under both times I went before the judge was/is unparalleled to anything I've ever experienced. But he wasn't just squinting at me as I intricately picked apart my pizza, he was making a major decision for my life based on his observations and opinions on my situation. (Note: I was not in trouble, I filed a civil case.) I tried and struggled to comprehend the level of authority this man possessed with my small mind, my hands trembled with fear as I slowly and carefully recounted my story and plead my case to him. And my soul began to tremble at the realization that there is another judge that is infinitely higher, sovereign, and more powerful than even this man that sat before me. Whose decisions and verdict will surpass all time. Who does not simply judge outward appearance - how the story looks from the outside looking in, but the hearts of sinful man, the motives. There is no story, no cover-up, no lie, no silence that can hide the truth from him. There is no bribe, no weariness, no laziness, no misunderstanding that will cause an unjust decision. In light of the decision that was made, I initially found comfort in this. One day, this Judge will have the final say. He won't have to take my word for anything, and no amount of silence or dishonesty will muddy the waters because He was there and knows both of our hearts -

Pause.

He knows my heart.

He knows my pride that led to this situation, every time I doubted His goodness, every time I have neglected to do the right thing because of fear, every time I've thought my ways are better than His, or thought myself to be more deserving of His grace than someone else. He sees the bitterness and cynicism that I struggle with every day, and how my fear and shame often tempt me to isolate myself from His other children, the very ones he blessed me with and who have been beyond kind and gracious to me.

Suddenly I don't want to stand before Him because I see myself more clearly. And some things are better seen through dim and blurry vision. I don't like to see my edges, made sharp by my own bitterness, or the cracks in my character. I don't want to see the stains all over me made by my own sin and the sin of others.

It is in this moment that I see with more clarity and certainty than ever before that I. Need. Jesus. Every interaction with other people. Every decision. Every hour. Every moment. Every breath. Because left to my own devices... I'll end up in a courtroom on a rainy Tuesday afternoon unsure of how I even got there, how things got so out of hand.

But maybe being utterly defeated is the beginning of victory.

"For the Lord will vindicate His people and have compassion on His servants when He sees their power is gone and there is none remaining." 
- Deuteronomy 32:36

I see the hand of God and His provision more than ever, I feel His presence so incredibly near, I understand a little more the great power and authority of God. I know me need for a savior more than ever before. I understand the meaning and the necessity of a plea, and why it is only through Jesus that mine is strong and perfect. ("Before the Throne" by Shane & Shane).

The shame I feel is real, but it is not mine to carry, and one word comes to mind: Gratitude....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i