Skip to main content

Make Me

When I hear the words, "make me," I immediately imagine a child throwing a temper tantrum. "Johnny, be quiet," and in a loud, shrill voice he replies, "Make me!" No one ever says this regarding something they want to do because no one has to make you do something you enjoy. Nobody makes me eat brownies. Nobody makes me write this blog. I just do it because I enjoy it. My roommate makes me workout on the days I don't want to (bless her). My conscience makes me eat carrots. Let me tell you, there is a huge difference in the way I eat carrots and the way I eat brownies. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out the difference between being made to do something and doing something out of pure want-to.

Maybe it was the basic knowledge that made the author's words in Psalm 119 stand out to me. Verse 35 says this, "Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, for I delight in it." This sound like an oxymoron to me. "Make me... I delight in it." At first I just sat there squinting at the verse staring back at me on the page. Why would anyone need to be made to do something they delight in?

It didn't take too long for me to be knocked back to reality and realize that I am the exact same way. I recognize how much better my life is when I fill my life with God's word, cheerfully follow His commands, and make every effort to follow His plan for my life; moreover, I am well aware of how much pain I have needlessly let into my life by not listening to His commands or following His plan for my life (see my post, "Don't Pray About It.") In fact, if you were to lay out all of my blog posts in chronological order, I would bet that you could tell when I was veering from "the path of God's commands" and when I came back. If it is so apparent to myself, and even others, why would I even think of straying? If I delight in God and His commands, why would I ever want to leave?

I don't have a concrete answer or solution, but I have some thoughts about it. I have been pondering the idea that the root of sin is the belief that God isn't enough. In this particular instance, I think that is a good candidate for a possible reason. It's not the necessarily the doubt of God's goodness or the joy I find in Him, but more the doubt that He is the best. It's this moment of doubt that makes a crossroad for me, and for whatever reason, I always fall for the lie that God isn't enough, that I need something else in addition to Him. Then when I add whatever it is I think I need (a person, a responsibility, a position, a hobby, an achievement, or anything else), I find that I am left more empty than I was before. (Cue, "Truth" by Tim Halperin.)

Maybe it's simply the belief in a lie that keeps me wandering, and keeps me in need of the hand of God making me follow Him. When I consider the joy I find in God, even when I think there could be something better, and the patience that He has with me, I am more than happy to be the little child saying, "make me," but with a tone of eagerness and desperation for a God so great my little mind can't comprehend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i