Skip to main content

Emmanuel



Emmanuel: God with us.

I’ve been familiar with this name of Jesus for years. I led my church in worship with a song with the word in it, and sang several others as a member of the congregation. I once went to a church called “Emmanuel.” I’ve even thought about what it means. I’m no stranger to the term.

Right in time for Christmas, I had a perspective change. A few nights ago, I was listening to “The Truth is Who You Are” by Tenth Avenue North when they referred to Jesus as Emmanuel. I have also heard this song before. Dozens and dozens of times. But I realized something.

All the times I heard and thought about it, I was wrong. I had always thought that it was cute that Jesus had a special name for his thirty-three years on Earth – the time when God was really with us. I didn’t mean to, but in my mind, I had left “Emmanuel” in the tomb even after Jesus left it. But as I heard Mike Donehey’s beautiful voice singing, “Emmanuel, God with us,” the truth sucker punched me right in the gut.

Jesus is still Emmanuel. Emmanuel didn’t stay in the tomb.
God is still with us.
God is with me. God is in me.

Maybe I was the last one to get the memo, but I was greatly moved by this. Lately, my life has been a little crazy. I wouldn’t say that I’m currently facing a lot of unknowns, but rather one big unknown that impacts several areas of my life. I guess it’s been pretty easy for me to feel like God is just a big man in the sky and that Jesus is just chilling up there with him eating popcorn, watching the movie of my life as so many things seem to be falling apart. That’s just my feelings. And in case you didn’t know, feelings are not truth. It’s taken me a long time to understand this. I sway back and forth. My response to a given situation depends on a number of things: whatever chemicals decide to flow from my brain, what passage(s) of scripture I’ve read lately, how much I like my outfit, how many emotional poems I’ve read, the weather (the rainier/cloudier, the happier), how long it's been since I’ve had a good-quality conversation, and how much chocolate I’ve eaten recently. As you can tell, I can vary quite a bit from day to day. That being said, I have found it useful to stop thinking about how I feel, and start thinking about what I know. At this point in my life, the solid truth that I need to know the most is that Jesus is not munching on popcorn while watching my problems unfold. He’s Emmanuel.

My Emmanuel.
Watching me.
Guiding me.
Caring for me.
Looking out for me.
Paving my way.
Preparing my heart.
Correcting me.
Providing for me.
Protecting me.
Teaching me.
Encouraging me.
Blessing me.
Loving me.

Just as sure as He was with us on the first Christmas, He is with me today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i