Skip to main content

An Open Letter to My Bible Study Members

Before I get started, go ahead and click the link to listen to "Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas. This is my song for the week. I just can't stop listening (and crying) to it.

Monday the 9th, my crew and I had our last Bible Study together. That was both one of the best and one of the worst days of my life. I didn't expect to take it this hard. I was happy about starting it, but I did not think I would get so attached. I didn't plan on crying my eyes out like I am right now. I didn't plan on loving everyone so much. About the only thing that went according to my plan is that we had Bible Study and we ate PB&J sandwiches. I'm not complaining, though. As usual, things went better than I planned. This group of people will always be one of my favorite little wonders in my life. I wish that I could say that I have another study in the works, but I can't. I don't have one planned because there won't be one. A few of us (me included) are moving away, so we won't be able to be together the same way ever again. Here is what I can say:

March 2016, I had a vision to start a Bible Study with a group of people that I liked. I wanted to get to know them all more and hoped that we would all grow in our faith together. That being said, I was nervous. I'm not rich, so the best food I could provide was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. So enticing, right? As most people know, I'm not outgoing, so I was concerned about anyone even showing up to hear the quiet girl talk about God. I was very close to changing my mind about the whole thing - like I had basically decided not to go through with my plan. The next day, I was reading my Bible, and the first verse I read was Joshua 1:6 which says: "Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people...." Needless to say, I decided that I should definitely start this Bible study and not worry about the response - as long as I do what I know I need to, God will take care of the rest. The first week was decent. I had my biggest crowd (maybe tied for the last week), but the conversation was slow and I was WAY nervous. Each week got better. The group got a little smaller, but the conversation was better. (That's just the law of social interaction according to my introverted self.) 
May 2016, I have a heart full of memories from an awesome Bible Study and a group of people I love. Just like I had hopes and expectations for the Bible Study, I have hopes and expectations for our lives after Bible Study. I hope that we will continue to grow closer, that we will learn to lean on each other for support, that we will provide each other with a safe haven, that we will guide each other when we don't know what to do, that we will pray for each other, that we will invest in each other, and most of all that we will look at these (basically) two months together and have memories that fill us with joy, peace, and a love for one another. A couple days ago I apologized to them for being a "sentimental freak," but I'm not sure if I'm really sorry. Should I be sorry that after pouring out my energy, time, heart, and wallet that I just really love you guys? If it makes you uncomfortable, I'm sorry for that, but I'm not sorry for loving you and wanting to realize all the potential that we have as a group. I just need you guys to know that I have been beyond blessed by every single one of you. Everyone has their strengths and different personalities, so you have all blessed me in an individual way. I started this Bible Study because I saw a need for it (and also God pretty much jumped out of my Bible), but I didn't realize that I may have been the one in need of it the most. When I say, "You're 'Extra' special to me," I mean it. Every one of you holds a special place in my heart. If you're every feeling down, know that I am always more than ready to be the friend you need. (I may be quiet, but I am actually really caring and waiting for someone to open up to me... I like deep conversations. If you want to call me crying, totally do that because I was put on this Earth to comfort crying people. I don't want you to be crying, but if the ol' tears get the best of you I'll be here.)

- Chloe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i