Skip to main content

The Holy Trinity of Rick, Bob and Bruce: UPDATE!

In order to understand this post, you will need to read The Holy Trinity of Rick, Bob, and Bruce. Matchbox Twenty is "new" music to me, but many moons ago (like 13 years ago) I listened to a few of their songs, and LOVED them. The only problem was I didn't know who they were or what the songs were called, so I just forgot about them. Keep this detail in the back of your mind, and then think to what I wrote in The Holy Trinity. Keeping all that in mind, add this to the chain of events. Rob Thomas, lead singer of Matchbox Twenty, is a huge Springsteen fan, has asked him for career advice, and has used him for several of his Songs of the Day. Read this article to see some more of what he has to say about The Boss.

Now that you have all this information swimming around in your brain, let me make a list for you to refer to and see my point.

1. Thirteen years ago, my favorite song was "Unwell" by MB20, but it didn't know how to find it.

2. About ten years later, I discovered Bruce Springsteen.

3. Two years later, I started listening to Rick Nelson.

4. After learning about Rick's friendship with Bob Dylan and Dylan's influence on Rick, I started listening to him.

5. Later I leaned that the influence was a mutual thing between Nelson and Dylan.

6. After that, I learned about Dylan's influence on Springsteen.

*so here we have an awesome lining up of favorite musicians*

7. Nine days ago I rediscovered MB20.

8. After seeing Springsteen's repeated occurrence on Rob's Songs of the Day, I did a little research and saw how much Rob loved him.

*note here that all my favorites for the past thirteen years have lined up perfectly even though I deemed them as favorites out of order*

Instead of The Holy Trinity of Rick, Bob, and Bruce, now I have The Heavenly Quartet of Rick, Bob, Bruce, AND Rob. (Doesn't that just flow so nice? Ahhhh...) I think I have also determined what it is about them: they all tell the truth. I know they aren't the only musicians that tell the truth, but that's just the big quality about them that attracts me, I suppose. The styles of music play a factor too, but I'm not narrow minded (I mean, Ricky Nelson to Matchbox Twenty, that's pretty broad). Anyway, I just appreciate that they just tell how they feel and how the world is without guards. If you haven't already gathered it, I really just love people who are open and honest. I know most people don't find this is exciting, cool, awesome, etc. as me, but that won't stop me from talking about it. I feel like I've come full circle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i