Skip to main content

My Third Birthday

Today is a special day for me. Today, I celebrate my third birthday. Now, you’re probably confused. It’s not Leap Year, and if it was, I would actually be twelve years old – and I’m clearly not. You see, it’s not my physical birthday. It’s my spiritual birthday. Three years ago, today, I was, as Jesus said, born again.


“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God…. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” – John 3:3, 6

I would like to take a moment to reminisce on my “birthday.”
I grew up in church. Many of my earliest memories take place in my grandma’s church – singing hymns, getting piggy back rides from the youth, shyly smiling at my grandma’s friends as we ate at many pot luck dinners, and making tons of crafts during Vacation Bible School. As I grew, I became more knowledgeable on religious matters. I knew all the “important” stories. I generally knew the right things to say when my teachers asked questions. When I was upper-elementary/middle school age, I began to grow proud for what I perceived to be a plethora of knowledge of God. I didn’t feel Him in my life, but I could answer all the questions and that’s what mattered to me. For me, church was just another thing to add my straight-A report card.

As a devote and active member of my church, when I came of age (7th grade) to attend camp with our youth group, I was there. The second night of camp, one of my friends went down during the invitation. The next night, I did. I knew all the answers, of course, so my youth pastor was easily convinced that I had made a genuine decision. Rather than get better, my life seemed to fall apart of my “decision.” As I moved into high school, my straight-A report card faded into a letter from the school informing my parents that I had a 43 in English, and that the school would begin to take away privileges from me until I was able to get my grade to a passing one. You may or may not me a rocket scientist, but as a writer, English is something that comes naturally to me. It wasn’t that I didn’t understand the class, but rather, internally I was falling apart. So much that it was affecting my grades. I was not a light in my school. Socially and emotionally I was a wreck. Most days, I wore pajamas. Over the next few years, my grades improved drastically, but that’s about it. Every other aspect of my life grew worse and worse. I became depressed and suicidal, I would binge eat, then go days barely eating. I hated myself and I hated life. I continued to go to church, only because I was “supposed to.” I would fake a smile and continue to spout all the right answers, successfully warding off any doubts from those around me and myself for a while.

The summer before my junior year in high school, I returned to that same church camp. I was absolutely broken. I had spent the past four years struggling and searching. For much of the week, I didn’t enjoy myself. I was oddly silent when any questions were asked. I didn’t spout any knowledge. I honestly just wanted to go home. On the fourth of five nights, our speaker, pastor Clayton King, began to speak to people just like me. I remember him saying that there were people in the crowd who had made some kind of decision in the past, but it wasn’t real. It was an emotion-fueled experience, but not a soul change. (It was at this point I began to squirm in my seat.) He went on to say that we had probably been struggling since then, and that we had tried and tried to be good enough, we may have rededicated several times, but nothing seemed to work. Then he made this statement that changed my life, “You guys keep trying to rededicate something you don’t even have.”

June 12, 2014, Christ came into my life and began to work in me. Three years later, He is still working in me, and revealing truth to me. I am so grateful for God’s patience with me that comes from His unbelievable love for me. I hope I never take it for granted and that I never forget just how far He reached to pull me up. To you, it may be just another day, but remembering these things makes it a happy, happy birthday to me.

Comment below and tell me about your birthday! If you don't have one and you would like to, talk to me or someone you know who can help you. I would love to be birthday buddies with someone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i