Skip to main content

Jesus is Better

Oh, friends. I am struggling to confine the swirling thoughts in my head to one readable, concise post. (An issue that has been plaguing me all year.) One thing I can say clearly is that my heart is full. In fact, it’s running over.

My first post this year was a rather solemn one. The pain and loss I experienced shed light on many issues in my life and heart. At the time, I couldn’t see that, but now I do. Because of that, I would take it all again in a heartbeat. Of course, I miss my grandma and think about her every day, and of course I still wonder why it’s so hard for people to be kind, respectful, and honestly just decent human beings; however, I can stand here with confidence and tell you that my relationship with God is stronger than it has ever been. It took the loneliest day of my life for me to begin the process of drawing closer to God – or to allow Him to pull me closer. That might be more accurate. It was during this time that I took a step back from blogging. I wanted to hear from God without any distractions. I spent many hours alone. I went on walks (three to four miles) nearly every day, began to learn to play piano, continued playing guitar, streamed many of Steven Furtick’s sermons, and kept a private journal. Many tears were shed (and sometimes still are), many prayers were prayed, many friendships were made/strengthened, and most importantly, many lessons were learned.

By the end of May, I felt that the time had arrived for me to come out of hiding, if you will. I made a bold reentrance back into the real world – I lead a three-day break out session at a church camp for teens where I essentially laid out everything that God had shown me while I was “hiding out.” This opportunity was such a blessing. Many students came to me to tell me that they were learning a lot or that my story had inspired them, so maybe it was a blessing to them. I do know that it was a blessing to me, though. Sitting down to organize and lay out all that I had learned in a teachable format really helped to reinforce those lessons in my heart, and being able to share with others was a great healing experience as well.


After all that healing, I felt much better. The pain that had clouded my mind for so long finally seemed to be clearing. Then it happened. I woke up this morning feeling a bit off. I was emotional about everything and felt a sense of loneliness that I haven’t felt for quite some time. I was tempted to listen to a sad playlist. I wanted to hear someone who was just as lonely as me. I wanted to know that someone else out in this big world had felt the same way as me. I know plenty of songs that would have done just that, but instead I began to listen to songs like “You Are” and “You’re Beautiful” and “Great I Am.” I felt a little better. A little while later, the loneliness started to creep in again. Tears began to cloud my vision as I ached for one more day in the past. One more day before it seems my little world fell apart. I kept remembering little details of all the people I miss and wanted nothing more than to go back and live it just one more time. Instead of wallowing in my misery like I tend to, something prompted me to pray. It wasn’t a grand prayer, but this simple utterance, “God remind me that you are near. I miss so many people, and I feel like I need them to be content. Remind me that no matter how great of a person I think they are, or how bad I miss them, You are more, You are bigger, and You are better.” Then I did something I rarely do – I quit thinking. I just sat in the stillness. I didn’t hear God speak, but I felt Him. I felt Him coming closer as if He had been waiting for me to simply open the door and let Him in. In that moment, the only thing I could think was this simple line from a song we sing at my church: Jesus is better.

John 16:32 says, “But the time is coming – indeed it’s here now – when you will be scattered, each one going his own way, leaving me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.” What a beautiful verse. I never knew the kind of closeness to God that I have experienced the last few months. Throughout the course of my entire life, every loss, heart break, and defeat. From my dad who wouldn’t stay, to an abusive step-father. From broken promises, to unspoken goodbyes. From painful deaths, to untimely partings. All of it has pulled me closer to God. What I initially perceived as hurt, pain, and loss, has ultimately led to the greatest joy I have ever known. It took an excruciatingly lonely season of life for me to comprehend it, but I now understand, “I am not alone because the Father is with me.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i