Skip to main content

Reconciled

The past few months have brought much change in my life - wanted and needed. Even wanted change brings a level of stress and uncertainty, and after the dust settles, a period of reflection.
My last post spoke to my waiting on the Lord. The end of August, brought the end to my waiting! I was finally hired for a new job that's not retail! (*praise hands*) I'm still STOKED to have weekends off and to be learning technical skills that will help me in my future.  Just before that, I started going to counseling again, and recently have started EMDR therapy there. I haven't been very vocal about this online or in my "real life." I thought it would be better for me to give myself space to process without trying to make a post or conversation piece about it. I'm not done with therapy, but I do feel like I am now at a point where a can share and want to share about some of the conclusions I have drawn.

I want you to think about your life. Think about the highest highs and the lowest lows. Sometimes I find it hard to think about them at the same time. Something in me can't reconcile the fact that there can be these horrible things in my life that exist and the same time as other things that are so wonderful. I would say that's a good portion of what my therapy has been - accepting that hurt and healing can exist in the same space, learning enjoy the good despite the existence of bad. Sometimes the bad feels too big, too heavy, too dark, to be able to see any light. Anxiety whispers that danger is lurking around every corner. My mind replays my very worst memories and my fear taunts me, saying, "Not only did you deserve it then, it is your destiny moving forward." 

I'm sitting at a stoplight on my lunch break, someone drives by. I pray they didn't see me as I will my food to stay down as my stomach churns. I go home that night and cry, it's a release of sorts. It is the peak of the battle in my mind. I am tired. I have been pushing back the terror, begging it to just let me make it through the work day. I do not have the energy or logic at this point to fight - I am mentally and emotionally delirious with exhaustion. 

I imagine myself as a small child, shaking and crying in terror at the monsters under her bed. And then, like the loving father He is, I hear The Word of God speak to me, "Daughter, come here."
"No, don't you see, the monster, he's right there."
"Oh Chloe, look at me. Look up, you'll see there's only me. Did you forget? There is only one monster, and I already defeated him - once and for all."
And like the child I am, I giggle a little through my teary eyes, "Silly me, I knew that."
Father bends down and, with a tender smile, dries my eyes, "I know, sometimes you just need reminded. Now, come on. I have more things I want to teach you, things I want to show you, places I want to take you."

I will admit, there was a bit of pride that didn't want me to write that illustration. But I felt it was too accurate. Just as I find the idea of monsters as complete fantasy and an illogical fear, I should find the lies of satan - veiled through words like "anxiety" and "worry" - as completely illogical. 
I believe that the only way to truly be able to disregard lies, is to have a higher regard for truth - for Christ - than any other voice that we may hear throughout our day. 

The past two years I have had my best and worst experiences. I have had the most hurtful and the most healing words spoken to, over, and about me. I have been the recipient of the most gracious acts of kindness and generosity, and have also been literally robbed of my dignity, joy, and passion for life. My eyes well with tears as I write and remember. Maybe it's the extreme nature of the last two years that have made it so hard for me as I seek to reconcile it all within me. But maybe my goal shouldn't be to reconcile them. Maybe I should aim higher. Maybe there is something that is bigger - Someone - who goes beyond my own mental understanding of my highs and lows.  

All this became a little clearer to me as I was listening to "Seasons" by Will Retherford. The chorus says, "You delight in me and You call me loved, for Your love has changed my life. Your love is greater, Your love is stronger, Your love is everything to me. Your love is deeper, Your love is wider, Your love is everything to me." Maybe it was just the timing that I heard this, but it hit a place deep inside me. No matter how high the highs or low the lows, past or future, the love of God will ALWAYS be more. That being said, the love of God should always be my greatest concern, the thing I trust in, the thing I adore the most, the only voice that has a say in my life. And it will be the thing that reconciles the best and the worst in my life. The bow that wraps everything together. And when I finally reach my forever home in heaven, it will be the only thing I see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i