Skip to main content

Make Every Day an Adventure

Adventure
ad•ven•ture
noun
1. An unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity
 
I've always wanted to take a cross-country road trip to discover quirky places in the good ol' US of A. I would absolutely love to take a run up the "Rocky steps" in Philadelphia as well as seeing some historical sights in the Northeast. Really,  I'm just a nerd and love all history, so any historical sight would suit me, and I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon. I have family from Maryland to California that I would be ecstatic to see. Just thinking about all the things that I want to do on a long personal vacation makes my heart beat a little faster, my imagination a little wilder,  and the corners of my mouth turn up in a little smile.
 
Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip. When I arrived, I was hoping for some adventure. I had visions of leading dozens to Christ, meeting "the one," taking extreme hikes - and rocking them, and essentially being a domestic Katie Davis (sans adopting 14 children).
 
Reality was slightly different.
 
Reality was going door to door inviting children to our makeshift Vacation Bible School and getting yelled at (multiple times). It was sweating in the lawn of a rundown trailer park, struggling to keep kids interested in our limited VBS. It was me speaking choppy Spanish to sweet mamas and children who only spoke choppy English. It was bagging up and passing out cookies to the same people I had been yelled at by just days before. It was sleeping on a deflated air mattress. I didn't lead anyone to Christ, but I got to show love to children who may not get much. I got to hold grubby hands, play ball with little shoeless feet, and pass out snacks to little hungry tummies. When it was all over, I was given the tightest little hugs by little minds who couldn't understand why I couldn't stay. I went on an easy hike and was the most scared out of our group the entire time. I didn't meet "the one," but my heart was so full of love for the people I was with, I could barely entertain the thought of needing a man to feel whole.
 
Even though that wasn't what I had in mind for my grand adventure of the summer, I know my heart was more fulfilled than it would have been any other way. Going door to door may not be the first thing we think of for fun, but it definitely put me outside my comfort zone. Isn't that half of what adventure is anyway? I would be lying if I said that I don't hope to up my hiking game, see more breathtaking views, go more places, get married, and adopt a slew of children.
 
But that's not the goal.
 
Well, it could be.
 
Ultimately, the goal, and the only true adventure, is going wherever Christ leads. The truth is that He will take us places we can't go on our own. I don't know about you, but "humanly impossible" sounds pretty darn adventurous to me! The good news for me is that no matter how uncomfortable I get, I can trust that God is in control, so I don't have to be afraid when things get a little too adventurous for my liking.
 
Whether God leads you to the mountains, to the slums, or to a seemingly dead end, mundane job, following Him will always be an adventure!
 
Now, my little saying is more special to me than ever.
 
Wherever you are in life, whatever obstacles you face, no matter how insignificant you feel, or how scared you are, make every day an adventure.
 
Here are just a few of my favorite pictures that I took (in chronological order). I am horrible at remembering to take pictures, so the fact that I have these is quite impressive!
 

Our "script" of information to tell the Hispanic parents.


The exact moment I realized the true meaning of adventure.


My single-girl humor kicked in when I saw this sign for a "Young Singles" Sunday School class. (One of the few times I thought about my relationship status all week.)
 



This is as very candid picture. I didn't know my picture was being taken. I was just laughing at myself because I was too scared to climb up any further, so my girl Sarah took a picture of me.
 
And finally, a pretty mountain side view that I took on our last full day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i