Skip to main content

An Attitude of Gratitude


It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I suppose it's not a bad thing. I've been so busy trying to take in all these blessings that I haven't had much time to write. When I do, I'm honestly so overcome that I can't get the words out. I never knew what David was feeling in Psalm 23 when he said, "My cup runneth over," until now. My heart is so full. This last week, I was on the phone with a family member telling them how it had been such a good day. I went on to tell them some different things that had happened that day. As I did, everything I said was something bad. I finished my summary of the day with this, "Wow. It sounds like it was a terrible day when I say everything that happened. But it wasn't. It was a really good day, and I just feel so blessed." What I learned from that is that a simple attitude of gratitude changed my whole perspective of the day. When I focus on what's right with my life instead of what's wrong, or even what could go wrong, it makes me love my life so much more and really helps with my anxiety. The thing is, if I was to write everything out that I am so grateful for, you would probably think I am ridiculous. Maybe that's the key to life: taking note of every blessing, no matter how small. I have two "philosophies" that I have been working diligently to live out every day, and they might be helpful to you:

1. Be obsessively grateful: I have to be obsessive and intentional about it. I write down everything I'm feeling thankful for. If I catch myself falling into a pit of negative thinking, I have to consciously choose to redirect my thoughts. Philippians 4:8 ("And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.") has been very instrumental in helping me to "be transformed by the renewing of my mind" (Romans 12:2). I made this checklist based on the verse in Philippians and hung it on my wall as a reminder of the types of things to think about, according to Paul.



2. Be irrationally excited: I am really the queen of getting excited. It might suck for the people around me, but it helps keep me positive and I always have something to look forward to. When I live "irrationally excited," I am always looking forward to the day as soon as I wake up - at approximately 6 AM.

The neat thing about my philosophy or way of living is that they both encourage each other. When I'm grateful for everything, I start getting excited about life in general. When I'm excited about my life, it helps me to see all the little blessings - it just goes around and around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i