Skip to main content

A Letter to My Nine-Year-Old Self

This is me as the flower girl at my mom's wedding,
 at nine years old.

As I was working out this morning, I asked myself a simple question: "How did I get so fat?" I couldn't control my thoughts, though, so it ended up being a reflection on my whole life. My childhood in particular. That's when I began to think of things I wish I could go back and tell myself when I was nine, as it was a pivotal year in my life.

Dear Chloe,

     Life must feel pretty crazy for you right now. Everything is changing; I know how that scares you. It's okay to be afraid, just don't let it keep you from living the fun life. I'm sure right now you can't imagine anything being fun. Your mom just got married, you've just changed schools, you broke your arm trying to be "Wild Woman" on your bike (i.e., carrying an armful of things, reading a book, and flying down the ramp as fast as you could - all at the same time), and your meeting new people seemingly everyday that are supposed to be your family all of a sudden. You're going to to want to argue a lot. Don't do it. Just don't. It won't get you as far as you think it will. Instead, focus on being the best Chloe that you can be. Oddly enough, that will mean doing what you want. I know right now you want to make your new family happy. No matter what you do, it won't work, so you just be yourself. According them, there are no basketball players, baseball players, football players, softball players, etc., all athletes are "dang jocks." That's okay, though. Don't give up your love for basketball. I know you think that if you trade it in for livestock showing and horse riding that you will win their approval, but you won't. I promise you'll regret it. Later, you'll discover an amazing musician named Ricky Nelson, and he's going to change your whole world by telling you, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." He's going to be one of your biggest inspirations, and a big reason why you learn to play guitar. (Yes, you finally get a guitar!) You'll get to be in a band. You'll get your heart broken by it, but when it's all said and done, you'll be a better person for it.  There will be times when you won't have a friend to talk to, you'll feel alienated from your family, and you'll wonder why you're here. It's okay, it happens to the best of us. Keep your chin up through it all! One day, you'll find a couple good friends that will more than make up for all the bad ones, and you'll learn that these are the people that are really there for you even though they aren't "family." Oh and remember that song you loved that slipped through the cracks in your crazy life? It's called "Unwell." You'll find it again on one of the best days of your life. Right now, God isn't really real to you, but one day He will be the realest thing there is to you and the driving force behind all that you do. Even though you hate your school now, it'll grow on you. You won't believe me when I tell you that you're going to cry over a dozen times in the weeks leading up to graduation. Speaking of graduation, you probably aren't sure what the term "full ride scholarship" means, but you'll get one of those. I wish I could tell you that things get better, but they don't. You get better. There will always be something wrong, but that's not an excuse to be miserable. You're life is always going to be crazy, but you've just got to learn to love it that way. You've been through so much up to this point - more than some people ever have, but you survived and you'll make through the rest of your life just fine. The most important thing is that you do what you love without apologies, be kind to others, and like they say in your favorite movie, A Cinderella Story (which will always be one of your favorites), "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

xoxo,
The Grown-Up You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i