Skip to main content

Blame it on My INFJ Ways... Part 1

I said I would talk more about the MBTI yesterday, so as an honest person, here I am. This post will focus on my days before I took the MBTI Test.

All my life, I have been different. As a young child, I can remember feeling older. When I was in daycare, I assumed the responsibility of watching the others as if I worked there. Sometimes this got me in to trouble... like the time I fed a baby two full bottles, and one of them wasn't even hers! Most of the time, I did a decent job though. As I got older and became school aged, my "old soul" further developed. I would walk the perimeter of the playground alone, and think about my life, the lives of my peers, why things were the way they were, how the government works, what career I want, the best parenting methods, and many other things that some college aged people don't think about. My soul was aging exponentially quicker than I actually was. As time went by, I became a deeper thinker. Everything was (and still is) symbolic to me, I speak in metaphors, and nothing is black or white. I wasn't relating or connecting to anyone. I felt alone in every aspect. I would purposefully isolate myself from others because, "It's easier to be alone because I physically remove myself from everyone, than to go out with other people and feel like an alien." I plummeted into a dark depression. Loneliness was my life. It was during this period that I fell in love with music, because in the big music industry, a handful of people knew what it meant to be alone in life. Because of them, I had hope. One song in particular was "Unity" by Shinedown. If you haven't heard it, I suggest you listen to it right now. Like open a new tab, play it, and then finish reading this. It's that good. I learned to be content with my own company. Loneliness didn't bother me as bad. The problem was, that I enjoyed being alone so much that I had no life, no friends, nothing. When I say I had no friends, I am not kidding. Most of the time it didn't even bother me, but at the end of the day, when I just needed someone, no one was there. I was so frustrated. Why couldn't people enjoy my company as much as I enjoyed it? Why didn't I connect with others with the ease that other people seemed to? Why did I have the soul of a 90 year old woman? Why in the world was I just so different?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Present Help

"God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalms 46:1 Y'all. My life right now. I am so overwhelmed. While I'm tempted to be overwhelmed with fear, worry, stress, anger, frustration, grief, and despair - and I have moments that I am - overall, I have been overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Not because He has kept me from all possible hurt or trouble,  but because He has been there with me through it all. And by doing that, has not only revealed more of His perfect and holy character to me, but has grown me in my far from perfect or holy character.  This season of my life has brought me so many struggles and hurt that I never anticipated. I would say that every area of my life looks quite different from what I planned (2 Corinthians 4:8-12). My education, career, my relationships, even where I'm living. Sometimes I do get angry. I get frustrated. Some days my hope wavers. None of this is to say that I am leading a miserable existence,

The Thorn in My Side

This week has been a rather rough one for me. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. It hasn't been all bad. "Bittersweet" is definitely a word I would use to describe it. Yesterday, I had a "diagnostic laparoscopy." A few people have asked how I'm doing. The selfish part of me wants to say, "I was just diagnosed with a endometriosis, a lifelong illness that hurts like hell, causes internal bleeding and scarring, and has the potential to prevent me from ever having kids; I have two incisions that feel like they're on fire; my throat hurts from a tube that was stuck down it; my doctor pumped me so full of air I have to wear clothes three sizes too big; my insides have been mulled over and some of them even cauterized with a laser; and my medicine makes me so tired that the only time I'm awake is because I'm in pain. How do you think I feel?!?"  I do not like talking about this. I only told about five people that I was having su

More of You

As a human being, I find myself wanting to be fulfilled, and I would bet money that you do too. You want to have a career that leaves you feeling full, you want to settle down with someone that makes you feel loved, you want friends that leave you feeling happy, you want to find hobbies that allow your inner self to flourish. You want to live, not just survive. I do too. Take a gander in the "Quotes" section on Pinterest and you'll find quotes like these: "And now I'll do what's best for me." "You never need to apologize for how you choose to survive." "If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors." "They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that." They seem empowering, but are they really? To a point, yes. Only to a point. Sometimes you do have to step up and do what is best for you. You have to stop listening to what everyone says you should be doing, and just do what you know i